The skin around the eyes is very thin and sensitive. Sometimes one may notice that this skin begins to swell and gives your eyes a puffy look. Puffy eyes are nothing but a minor eye condition, which usually get resolved on its own or by following some simple home remedies. Even though this condition is not a serious health threat, a basic understanding of its causes and remedies can help you get rid of puffy eyes.
- Crying: Crying usually causes puffy eyes due to fluid retention in the tiny glands of the eyelid.
- Cold, flu, sinus infection: Similarly, having a cold can cause retention of fluid making the eyes look puffy.
- Lack of sleep and tiredness: Not getting enough sleep and staying in front of the computer for long hours causes tiredness, which leads to eye strain and therefore makes them puff up.
- Genes: Puffy eyes as well as dark under eye circles are also determined by your genes.
- Diet: An iodine enriched diet that includes a lot of salt will cause your body to retain water and thus make your eyes look puffy.
- Age: As we grow older, the thin skin around the eyes begins to lose elasticity and clumps together making it look puffy.
Imagine waking up with puffy eyes on your wedding day or on the day of an important meeting. Luckily, there are a few simple home remedies that can help you get rid of puffy eyes.
- Splash cold water on your eyes
- Drink plenty of water
- Wrap ice cubes in a cloth and dab them gently over your eyes
- Get enough sleep
- Get an eye massage
- Try eye soothing creams with aloe or Vitamin E
- Eye exercises
- Limit sodium intake
In exceptional cases, puffy eyes may be accompanied by other symptoms, which could be a sign of another condition and may have to be examined by an eye specialist. Watch out for the following signs:
- Only one eye is puffed up
- Severe itching, pain or redness
- Prolonged period of puffiness