Bomb and mortar attacks have killed six people in Shi’ite Baghdad, with Iraqi security forces claiming to have broken a siege on soldiers surrounded by Islamic State militants west of the capital.
Police officials said on Sunday three mortar shells landed on a residential area in Sabaa al-Bour, a town just north of Baghdad, killing four, including a 12-year old-boy.
Several cars were damaged in the attack, which wounded 14.
Later, a bomb blast in a commercial street killed two people and wounded four in the capital’s northeastern district of Shaab.
Medical officials confirmed the casualty tolls.
Attacks against Shi’ite civilians are common tactics used by Islamic State militant group, which considers them heretics.
Meanwhile, Army spokesman General Qassim al-Moussawi said on Sunday Iraqi security forces overnight were able to break the siege on about 400 soldiers surrounded by Islamic State militants three days ago in an area in Anbar province. He did not elaborate.
The soldiers were trapped in the Sijir area near the city of Fallujah, 65 kilometres west of Baghdad.
Sunni fighters took control of Fallujah earlier this year, and government forces have been unable to take it back.