A 31-year-old repentant Boko Haram terrorist, Muhammad Abubakar, on Thursday narrates how his hand and leg were cut off and left to die because he was planing to surrender and renounce membership of the dreaded insurgency group.
Abubakar disclosed this to newsmen in Maiduguri during briefing organised by Major-General Lucky Irabor, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, to update journalists on ‘Operation Rescue Finale’.
Abubakar, who also claimed that he was a member of the ISIS recognized Mamman Nur faction of the Boko Haram until his surrender, said he was punished because of his decision to renounce his membership of the group and embrace peace.
“They said I was planing to exposed them to the Nigerian Government, so they did all this to me.”After they chopped off my right hand and left leg, they threw me into a culvert where I was left struggling, until soldiers came and rescued me.
”All I can say is that all we had been told by Boko Haram leaders were lies and misleading. I never joined them to kill anyone,” he said.
Major-General Irabor said Abubakar was still undergoing interrogation.
“You can see what they did to one of their own because he decided to quit,” said Irabor.