2300 Boko Haram members to face trial behind closed doors on Monday

Must Read

I Live In Fear Everyday- Peter Obi Raises Alarm

Peter Obi, the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) Vice presidential candidate during the last general poll has stated that he constantly...

Why Buhari Won’t Endorse Tinubu’s 2023 Presidential Ambition: Yarima

Senator Ahmed Sani Yarima, former governor of Zamfara State and two-term senator has explained why President Buhari will not...

2023: Don’t Flee Nigeria For Tinubu, Razak Urges Bode George

Lanre Razak, a prominent member of the All Progressive Congress in Lagos State says it would be unfortunate if...

‘FBI Charged Me Illegally’ – Invictus Obinwanne Okeke

CEO of Invictus Group and Forbes-celebrated Nigerian man, Obinwanne Okeke, who is facing two counts of $11m computer and wire...

3 Dead, 130 Persons Test Positive As Italy Battles Coronavirus

Health officials in Italy are struggling to explain how the country went from having just three cases of the...

At least 2,300 suspected Boko Haram members are expected to appear in court from Monday in unprecedented mass trials to be held behind closed doors.

The defendants have all been picked up and held in detention since the start of the conflict eight years ago, which has left at least 20,000 dead in the country’s remote northeast.

To date, just 13 people have been put on trial and only nine convicted for their links to the Islamist insurgency, according to official figures.

The most high-profile current case is that of Khalid Al-Barnawi, a leader of the Boko Haram offshoot Ansaru, who is charged with the abduction and murder of 10 foreign nationals.

Nigeria’s justice ministry announced the start of the trials at the end of last month, saying four judges had been assigned and that defendants would have legal representation.

Some 1,670 detainees at a military base in Kainji, in the central state of Niger, will be tried first followed by 651 others held at the Giwa barracks in the capital of the northeastern state of Borno state, Maiduguri.

“It’s the first significant trial of Boko Haram suspects,” said Matthew Page, a former US State Department analyst and a specialist on Nigeria.

But he told AFP that while “positive” it was still a “very small step”, as many of the detainees had been held in custody for years, without access to a lawyer or ever having appeared before a judge.

Source: ( Punch Newspaper )

- Advertisement -
Ad ==> Discover how a young Nigerian graduate now makes a consistent 40k per week doing a legitimate online business. You too can start yours now, click here!!!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

More Articles Like This

- Advertisement -