Tears flowed freely in Kajola-Ijesha, Atakumosa West Local Government Area of Osun State, following the death of four members of a family who were burnt to death in a mid night inferno that gutted their house, Monday night.
The family of six lost the father, mother and two children in the fire. The two other children were away on vigil when the incident happened. Sources said they urged other members of the family to join them but they declined.
Property, including furniture, electronics, cooking utensils and other household materials were burnt in the inferno.
An officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, said the fire was as a result of power surge. He said the entire house was affected.
“We have been to the scene and found out that the incident happened as a result of the return of power to the house by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN.
“There was no light when the family slept but the high voltage power came at midnight and caused the incident,” the NSCDC officer who craved anonymity said.
Osun State Deputy Governor, Mrs. Grace Laoye-Tomori, who visited the scene of the incident expressed shock and concern at the death of the four family members, promising that the state government would take care of the remaining two children.
Tomori gave an undisclosed amount to the eldest child of the deceased parents during her visit.