Poisonous Gas Kills Grandmother, Grandson, One Other In Ondo


An explosion in Araromi Obu area of Ondo State has led to the death of a grandmother, her grandson and one other person, with at least 10 others sustaining injuries.

The explosion was saidto have emanated from the facility of the state water corporation located at Araromi Obu, Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The deceased, according to sources, might have inhaled the chemicals that escaped from one of the cylinders that exploded at about 11.30 pm, Tuesday.

People who went to ascertain what was wrong when they heard a loud noise from the explosion at the Water Corporation, inhaled the gas that escaped from the cylinder.

It was gathered that many of them, after inhaling the poisonous gas, started itching on their faces and felt uncomfortable.

Among those who inhaled the poisonous gas was a seven year-old-boy simply identified as Isaac, his grandmother and one other person. They were taken to the General Hospital in Okitipupa for proper medical attention.

Reports have it that while the woman did not make it to the hospital, the grandson died later in the hospital.

According to officials of the water corporation, one of the cylinders containing some chemicals being used for purification of water suddenly burst and the chemical content escaped, causing health hazard in the town.

The officials said the cylinder contained outdated chemicals that ought to have been disposed off about three years ago.

Confirming the incident, State Health Commissioner, Dayo Adeyanju, told newsmen in Akure that health officers, including doctors and nurses, had been dispatched to the town, adding that the situation was now under control.

Tags from the story
Ondo, poisonous gas, Water Corporation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *