Johannesburg– Bafana Bafana coach Gordon Igesund has announced a 23-man squad to represent South Africa in the 2014 CAF African Nations Champions (CHAN) that kicks off on Saturday, 11 January and will be hosted in three cities – Cape Town, Polokwane and Bloemfontein.
The CHAN tournament is an event for players plying their trade in their domestic league.
Igesund’s men have been pitted against Nigeria, Mali and Mozambique.
“It is just unfortunate that I will not have players from Orlando Pirates, Amazulu and Ajax Cape Town but all in all I am excited that the South African Football Association (SAFA) and the Premier Soccer League (PSL) came to an agreement that works for all parties. It would have been great to have more options but I am not complaining,” said Igesund.
“It is going to be a tough tournament because every team that comes here wants to win and no team is now a pushover in international football. But I can tell you now that we are going to have a very competitive team that will go out there and do their best.”
The Bafana Bafana mentor has also urged fans to buy their tickets for the tournament.
“Ït is important that we have full stadia for the matches as it gives the players an extra boost to do well. We urge all the football fans to come out in numbers to support not only the host nation, but also the tournament in general. With that said, we would also like to pass our gratitude for the support we received during AFCON tournament and over the last few months,” added Igesund.
Bafana Bafana will assemble for camp on Thursday, 02 January 2014 in Cape Town to continue preparations for the tournament.
South Africa will open the tournament with a clash against Mozambique on Saturday, 11 January at the Cape Town Stadium. Kickoff is at 17h00.
There will be 32 matches played in 16 match days.
Two quarterfinals will be held in Cape Town while Mangaung and Polokwane will share the other two.
Both semi-final matches will take place in Mangaung with Cape Town hosting third-place play-offs as well as the final.
South Africa’s fixtures: (all matches at the Cape Town Stadium)
Saturday, 11 January 2013
vs Mozambique (18h00)
Wednesday, 15 January 2013
vs Mali (17h00)
Sunday, 19 January 2013
vs Nigeria (19h00)
(Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town)
South Africa | Mozambique |Nigeria |Mali
(Athlone Stadium, Cape Town)
Zimbabwe |Morocco |Burkina Faso |Uganda
(Mangaung Stadium, Bloemfontein)
Ghana| Congo-Brazzaville| Ethiopia| Libya
(Peter Mokaba Stadium, Limpopo)
DR Congo| Mauritania |Burundi| Gabon
Bafana Bafana Squad for 2014 CHAN:
The Invited Players;
1. Itumeleng Khune (C) Kaizer Chiefs FC
2. Moeneeb Josephs Bidvest Wits FC
3. Siyabonga Mpontshane Platinum Stars FC
4. Thabo NTHETE Bloemfontein Celtic FC
5. Tshepo GUMEDE Platinum Stars FC
6. Tefo MASHAMAITE Kaizer Chiefs FC
7. Buhle MKHWANAZI Tuks FC
8. Kwanda MNGONYAMA Bidvest Wits FC
9. Vuyo MERE Platinum Stars FC
10. Bryce MOON Mamelodi Sundowns FC
11. Tsepo MASILELA Kaizer Chiefs FC
12. Tebogo LANGERMAN Mamelodi Sundowns FC
13. Ryan CHAPMAN Bidvest Wits FC
14. Hlompho KEKANA Mamelodi Sundowns FC
15. Jabulani SHONGWE Mamelodi Sundowns FC
16. Reneilwe LETSHOLONYANE Kaizer Chiefs FC
17. Sibusiso VILAKAZI Bidvest Wits FC
18. Lerato CHABANGU Moroka Swallows FC
19. Lindokuhle MBATHA Platinum Stars FC
20. Siphiwe TSHABALALA Kaizer Chiefs FC
21. Katlego MASHEGO Mamelodi Sundowns FC
22. Bernard PARKER Kaizer Chiefs FC
23. Edward MANQELE Moroka Swallows FC