What the fork, indeed.
When Radu Calincescu, 25, told doctors in the city of Bacau, Romania, that he was experiencing pain when he swallowed, he probably should have mentioned the utensil he ingested earlier that day.
X-rays revealed the object, which became lodged in Calincescu’s throat after he gulped it down “in a bet with friends to prove how tough he was,” according to the Daily Mail.
“I had been drinking and I bet with my friend that I could swallow the fork without getting hurt. I put the fork in my mouth and managed to swallow it,” Calincescu said. “I realize now it was a very stupid thing to do. I don’t think I will be taking part in any bets for a while.”
The doctors were not impressed by the man’s story, and reportedly told him that they didn’t have time to remove the fork, which was lodged in his esophagus and not immediately threatening any vital organs. They suggested waiting to see if the fork would “take its natural course,” Calincescu explained.
However, he said that if the fork reached his stomach, he’d be back for an operation.