Thirty deaths have been reported by Yobe Hospitals Management Board in the bomb attack in Potiskum on Monday. 89 injuries were also confirmed for the 119 total casualties reported.
Earlier reports have put the number of people killed at 15, and the number of people who sustained injuries at 50.
Executive Secretary of the Board, Dr Mamman Mohammed told Yobe State Governor Ibrahim Gaidam, who visited the victims at the Potiskum General Hospital that some of the victims who sustained severe injuries had been referred to tertiary health institutions in Azare and Nguru.
The governor however directed that free treatment be given to the victims.
“The government will bear all the medical bills of the victims, including those referred to other hospitals outside the state,” Gaidam said.
The attack on Monday came as a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite Ceremony in Potiskum.
Police and eyewitnesses said a bomb exploded about 10 metres from a seminary where Shia worshippers had gathered for the Ashura festival, the anniversary of the death of Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Mohammed.
Gaidam condoled with the Shiite group on the death of their members.