The military said it had stepped up air bombardment and deployment of troops to Mubi town, Adamawa State and environs three days after it was overran by terrorists.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ), in a statement claimed that air bombardment against insurgents was already yielding results.
“The highly coordinated air bombardment is already yielding required results in the mission to repel the unwarranted attacks on citizens especially in Adamawa and Borno States as land forces are also conducting mopping up operations to apprehend retreating terrorists and facilitate restoration of normalcy in some of the affected communities,” the statement released by the spokesperson for Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, Major General Chris Olukolade said.
The DHQ also said it was studying the contents of the video released by the Boko Haram on Friday and would release further information on subsequent position on the issues as appropriate in due course.
“The military will continue to accord due recognition to any ongoing mediatory efforts towards bringing our girls home and terminating the insecurity in parts of the country. Citizens are assured that the military and security agencies remain committed and optimistic for positive outcome of ongoing operations,” the DHQ said.
Insurgents had on Wednesday attacked Mubi, Adamawa’s second largest city, despite the widely announced truce talks between the Federal Government and the Boko Haram. Residents were sacked in the attack where scores died. Boko Haram signified its victory over the town by hoisting its flag.
Reacting to the attack(s) in a state-wide broadcast on Saturday, Adamawa state governor, Bala Ngilari, said a high-powered committee had been inaugurated to address the problems faced by people displaced from the town by the insurgents, adding that he had so far sent 77 vehicles in the past two days to evacuate affected persons to designated camps.