Boko Haram militants have killed about 33 people and kidnapped at least 100 following an attack Gumsuri Village in Borno State, a survivor told the BBC.
According to him, the insurgents suspected to be Boko Haram members seized young men, women and children from the village on Sunday. News only just emerged after survivors escaped to Maiduguri.
“After killing our youths, the insurgents have taken away our wives and daughters,” the resident said.
Two Borno state officials also confirmed the attack, but said that locals were still counting those kidnapped in the attack, which they said could pass 100.
According to one of the officials, the village had been protected by local vigilantes in the past, but they were overpowered on Sunday.
“For the past one year, the insurgents have made several attempts to attack Gumsuri but were resisted by the gallant youths of the village,” he told AFP.
Boko Haram insurgency, which started in Nigeria in 2009 has led to over 12,000 deaths, with more than 2,000 people already killed this year alone.