President Goodluck Jonathan said the Federal Government has spent N10 billion on the construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge out of the N130 billion total cost of the project.
The President disclosed this during a stopover at the project’s site in Asaba on Saturday, while on his way to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) campaign in Onitsha, Anambra State. He said it was a big project being executed under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement. It is expected to be completed within 48 months.
“So far, out of the N130 million total cost of the project, we have spent about N10 billion.
“It is a big project and now that it has taking off, it will go on smoothly through the 48 months completion time.
“The project is a PPP arrangement, I am quite impressed with what I have seen,” he said.
Minister of Works, Mike Onolomemen said a lot had been done since the flag off of the project in March 2014. According to him, the contracting firm, Julius Berger Nigeria was engaged because of its antecedents.
Works are in progress, he said, as the piles are being driven into the ground and dredging is going on along the River Niger.
“For us, it is a thing of joy and certainly before the next raining season, a lot of piles would have been driven in. No doubt, development of infrastructure takes a long time.”
Managing Director, Julius Berger, Detler Lubasch, said work on the project would be sustained. According to him, the project would be of enormous social and economic benefits and significance to the country.