The Cross River State Government has debunked reports in a section of the media of a military expedition or bombardment in Calabar, the State capital.
The Chief Press Secretary to Governor Ben Ayade, Mr. Christian Ita, said reports of a bombardment in Calabar was “unfounded and untrue, fabricated by twisted minds for devious purposes”.
According to Mr. Ita, in a statement issued in Calabar on Tuesday, there was no basis for such incident.
He said: “There is no military raid going on in Calabar. There has been no bomb attack in the state capital. The only military expedition that took place sometime last week was an operation undertaken by the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) to flush out criminals on the Cross River/Akwa Ibom waterways, which is far removed from towns and civilian population”.
The governor’s spokesman added that the military exercise only lasted a day.
He said: “As long as we cannot dissuade or prevent anybody from pursuing any course they deem fit, they should leave Cross River State out of their clandestine campaign and look elsewhere. All pictures purportedly showing places that were bombed were all simulated; they are products of photoshop”.