Peter Obi To Boycott Mixed Debates If Tinubu, Atiku Are Absent

Peter Obi’s Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) has said that going forward, he would not participate in ‘mixed’ debates where other presidential candidates are absent.

The Director General of the Obi-Datti Campaign Organisation, Doyin Okupe made this known at a press conference in Abuja on Monday.

Okupe said Obi will no longer debate with surrogates or running mates and will back out of any debate even at the last minute should other presidential candidates fail to show up.

At the town hall held in Abuja on Sunday, the presidential candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar were absent.

While Tinubu’s running mate, Kashim Shettima was absent, his PDP counterpart and Delta State governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, represented Atiku.

Besides Obi, Rabiu Kwankwaso of the New Nigeria People’s Party (NNPP) and Kola Abiola of the Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) were the presidential candidates present.

READ ALSO: Tinubu Ignores Presidential Town Hall Meeting For Friend’s Birthday Bash

Earlier in the day, the Deputy Director General of Obi’s PCC, Oseloka Obaze, on his Twitter page, accused Arise TV of breaking their own ground rules and shifting the goalposts during the presidential town hall it organised for presidential candidates.

“Yesterday, at the presidential Town Hall, Arise TV management broke their own ground rules and shifted the goalposts in the middle of the game. A presidential town hall or debate means exactly that in letter and spirit. Henceforth, Labour Party’s presidential candidate will not participate in mixed debates,” Oseloka said.