Although some of those who have been named to have received money from the former National Security Adviser Sambo Dasuki have said it was compensation for Boko Haram attacks suffered, the presidency, Tuesday, stated categorically that President Mohammadu Buhari never collected any monetary compensation from the government of former President Goodluck Jonathan or any of its officials in the aftermath of the Boko Haram attack on him in Kaduna last year.
This came following reports that President Buhari was settled with $300,000 and 5 Sports Utility Vehicles, SUVs after the attacks. Dasuki had threatened to reveal the involvement of former Nigerian Leaders who shared in the “loot”.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina on Tuesday, in a statement refuted the claims. However, he admitted that two jeeps were given to the president; one armoured and one not armoured. But he said that the SUVs were statutory entitlement of president Buhari as a former Head of State.
According to him, President Buhari could not have compromised his integrity by accepting monetary compensation from a discredited regime of President Goodluck Jonathan.
“Our attention has been drawn to reports making the rounds, especially on internet-based media, that President Muhammadu Buhari received $300,000.00 and up to five armoured SUVs from the Office of the National Security Adviser in the aftermath of the attack on his convoy in Kaduna last year.
“We unequivocally deny that President Buhari received $300,000.00 or any monetary compensation whatsoever from the Jonathan Presidency or any of its officials, in the aftermath of that attack, or at any other time since then.
“While it is true that one armoured SUV and one untreated SUV were sent to the President in the aftermath of the attack, the vehicles were in keeping with his entitlements as a former Head of State under the Remuneration of Former Presidents and Heads of State (And other Ancillary Matters) Decree of 1999.
“Section 3, Sub Section 1 of that Decree provides that three vehicles will be provided for former heads of state and replaced every four years.
“There was therefore nothing untoward, illegal or tending to corruption in former Head of State Buhari and Presidential aspirant, as he then was, receiving vehicles, to which he was statutorily entitled, from the Federal Government of Nigeria.
“President Buhari had in keeping with his austere, spartan and frugal disposition shunned most of his entitlements as a former Head of State, but was prevailed upon by his supporters to accept the two vehicles for his personal safety in the aftermath of the dastardly attempt to assassinate him.
“It is preposterous to think that the President will allow his acclaimed reputation of honesty and incorruptibility to be tarnished by accepting a questionable monetary compensation from a discredited regime,” the statement read.