Dasuki Set To Approach Supreme Court For His Freedom — Lawyer

Ahmed-Raji-Dasuki-Sambo

A former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.), has indicated readiness to approach the Supreme Court to press for his freedom denied him by the federal government in spite of rulings by three High Courts in Abuja admitting him to bail.
Mr. Dasuki is currently being prosecuted by the federal government on criminal charges that involve his alleged mismanagement of over $2.1billion meant for arms purchase.
The former NSA on Wednesday lost his bid to enforce his freedom at the Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on Wednesday.
However, his lawyer, Ahmed Raji (SAN), confirmed Thursday that appeal papers had been put together to be filed at the Supreme Court to challenge the judgment of the Court of Appeal, and those from the high courts that ordered his re-arrest.
According to Mr. Raji, his client had sufficient grounds to approach the Supreme Court to seek the enforcement of his freedom.
Mr. Dasuki said he was not afraid of trial on charges against him, but said the proper thing must be done by government by respecting the bail granted him lawfully by the courts.
The former NSA said that since government had approached the court on his matter, the same government must be fully ready to abide by court decisions in the interest of justice and the rule of law.
It would be recalled that Mr. Dasuki had been admitted to bail by three different high courts in Abuja but he was re-arrested on December 29, 2015 by operatives of the Department of State Security.
The government, in its defence, claimed Mr. Dasuki, being a Crown Prince of the revered Sokoto Caliphate, had large sympathizers across the length and breadth of the country who may jeopardize his trial if allowed on bail.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here