Department of State Security Services,(SSS) said it arrested 12 suspected members of the Islamist sect, Boko Haram, during an operation behind Apo Legislative Quarters in Abuja early on Friday morning.
Deputy Director, Public Relations, DSS, Marilyn Ogar, said in a statement that the operation “was sequel to information obtained from two (2) Boko Haram elements Kamal Abdullahi and Mohammed Adamu, who had earlier been arrested for terrorist activities.
“They led the security team to uncompleted buildings where arms were purported to have been buried underground”.
She however said as the “team commenced digging for the arms, they came under heavy gunfire attack by other Boko Haram elements within the area, which prompted immediate response from the security team.
“As a result, some persons were injured and twelve (12) others have been arrested in connection with the incident, and are making useful statements”.
She was however silent on the number of people that died during its confrontation with the alleged Boko Haram suspects.
Earlier reports this morning had indicated that about eight people were killed in the uncompleted building by some unidentified gunmen while scores of others were injured.
The DSS however said “Normalcy has returned to the area.
“Members of the public are advised to go about their normal businesses, as appropriate security measures have been placed to ensure the safety of citizens in the FCT”.
It therefore “reiterated the need for all Nigerians to be vigilant of their immediate environment and promptly report suspicious activities to security agencies. Our National security must remain the collective responsibility of all Nigerians”.