Chinese Superclub, Shanghai SIPG have announced the signing of a new head coach, Andre Villas-Boas. The former Chelsea and Tottenham coach is not a new name in football management’s having only left Zenit St. Petersburg in May.
Here are five things you should know about him;
- Villas-Boas is one of the world’s few top managers never to have played football at a high level. He started his quest to become a manager very early, obtaining his C-license at the age of 17
- He served as assistant coach to Jose Mourinho while at Portuguese club, Porto. He also moved along with Mourinho to Chelsea and Inter Milan
- He began his career as a manager at Primera Liga side, Academica guiding them from a relegation spot to an eleventh place finish before leaving after just nine months.
- The highest point of his career was a move to Porto in the 2009/2010 season where he masterminded an unbeaten run all season to win the league and a European title
- He moved to Chelsea in 2011, with the English side paying a £15m compensation to Porto, the highest fee paid in compensation for a coach.