How I Was Miraculously Released From Boko Haram Captivity: Aid Worker

Boko Haram
Boko Haram bandits

Jennifer Samuel, the aid worker rescued from Boko Haram captivity has narrated her ordeal at the hands of her captors.

Samuel, an indigene of Plateau State and aid worker attached to Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA), was abducted alongside eight others in the Northeast, December 2019.

The rescue of the aid worker who has now reunites with her family in Jos, sparked jubilation among her family members, nursing-colleagues, friends, neighbours and the government.

Narrating her ordeal, she said her release was nothing short of a miracle because others whom she met in captivity are still there.

Samuel said she was kidnapped along Borno-Monguno road enroute Jos at about 8 o’clock in the morning by the insurgents in military uniforms after stopping several other cars, profiling occupants of the cars, releasing some, shooting some others on the tarred road, for reasons unknown to her, before leading the rest of them into the bush and then transiting to the camp.

She said, “While in captivity, the insurgents shoot their gun shots from time to time outside the zinc rooms to make us know that they are around. We were provided with food stuffs to cook ourselves, and we did. There is no meat but we were given dry fish to use for the cooking.

“They come around from time to time to ask us if we need anything. The first week, we were under lock and key, but from the second week we can come out of the rooms into a fenced compound that has tree leaves as carmouflaged roof.

“All cooking ends on or before 5pm and we all return to our rooms, using a torchlight which they provided us in the room till morning. I and the others only eat once a day because we do fast and pray for our safety, but we never allowed them to know that we were fasting. At a point, I made up my mind that whatever happens to me, so be it.

Read Also: Soldiers, Police Officers Abducted By Boko Haram In Yobe

“We were not sexually abused, but they kept preparing our minds psychologically for eventual marrying-off to someone else if need be, and they made us to believe that their belief allow such. “When news began to filter in that some of us might be released, I did not believe until it happened.

“During the course of my captivity, we were taken to three different locations, passing through forests, criss-crossing tarred roads intermittently and crossing different rivers.

“They know all the bush paths/forests and they often use GPRS to know where they were heading. On the day of our release, we travelled for 26 hours in the car (from 3pm-5pm the next day) before we were freed,” she said.

As foe Leah Sharibu, the only remaining girl in captivity of the 110 schoolgirls abducted by insurgents from the Government Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yunusari Local Government Area of Yobe State, Jenifer said she didn’t see her.

However, she explained that Alice, who has also being in captivity for about two years now said that Leah is doing fine.