Minister of State for Labour and Employment Festus Keyamo claims he can drive unaccompanied from Abuja to Kaduna.
In a pre-recorded interview that was broadcast on Channels TV on Tuesday, Keyamo made this statement.
One of the most dangerous highways, the approximately 155 km Kaduna-Abuja highway has been the scene of multiple attacks by bandits who block the road to kill and kidnap travelers.
When questioned about the level of security in Nigeria, Keyamo, who also serves as the spokesperson for the All Progressives Congress (APC) campaign council, responded that he feels safe enough to drive without security personnel.
“Some people do, I can do it. I can do it,” Keyamo muttered repeatedly.
“I saw headlines last week saying that I said insecurity has been brought to an all-time low by Buhari. I didn’t say so. It’s still the season of wrong headline. I said what we met on the ground, Boko Haram in the north-east. I was specific and so they quoted me generally to say Boko Haram and insecurity throughout the whole country. I only said Boko Haram in the north-east, it has not been totally wiped out, but we have reduced this significantly.
“All the roads that lead to Chibok and Damboa in Borno, they are now passable.”